Luther Blacklock, Inventor of the Explanar Golf Training System
Luther joined the P.G.A. in 1973 and became the Club Professional at Cradoc Golf Club in Wales in 1979. From that time he studied the golf swing under Alex Hay, the co-writer of the P.G.A. Training Manual and renowned B.B.C. commentator.
|To ask an Explanar product related or golf swing question, you can
contact myself or one of our Explanar experts.
Our experts are all fully qualified and have worked under myself and can answer all questions surrounding Explanar products and the golf swing.
In 1984 Alex invited Luther to become the Senior Professional at the prestigious Woburn Golf and Country Club, Bedfordshire, UK, now the Premier 54 hole venue in Europe.
Over the past 20 years Woburn has staged over 35 professional tour events, allowing Luther to observe the World’s top players and their coaches in action.
Luther Blacklock, Inventor of the Explanar Golf Training System. A style of coaching developed that majored on the highest level of pre-shot routine, with emphasis on shot making and ball control; a fusion of classic fundamentals and contemporary psychology.
• 1973 - Joined the Professional Golfers Association.
• 1978 - Started to study under Mr. Alex Hay.
• 1979 - Head Professional at Cradoc Golf Club, Brecon, Powys.
• 1984 - Appointed Senior Professional to The Woburn Golf and Country Club.
• 1985 through 2002 - Involved in 35 European Tour Events operationally
• 1993 - Appointed panelist to GOLF MONTHLY magazine
• 1993 - Appointed National Boys Coach to the Welsh Golfing Union
• 1995 - Presents Long Game Workshop at the P.G.A. Teaching Conference
• 1999 - Appointed coach to CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY VARSITY TEAM
• 2000 - Presents Golf Clinic 4 times daily main stage NEC Golf Trade Show
• 2000 - Films 20 Drills for GREG NORMAN “One on One” CD. (15k Sold)
• 2001 - Founded EXPLANAR GOLF Ltd
• 2001 - Appointed Head Instruction editor PLAY BETTER GOLF magazine
• 2002 - Main Speaker at P.G.A. National Teaching Conference
• 2003 - Speaker at RED BULL MASTER CLASS at Celtic Manor Resort
• 2003 - Appointed panelist to GOLF WORLD magazine
• 2004 - Presents One Day Seminar to P.G.A. of DENMARK
• 2006 - Presenter at inaugural Harmon Brother Teaching Summit in Las Vegas
• 2007 - Delivered a Clinic to fellow PGA Professionals at the PGA Show Demo Day
• 2007 - Luther releases DVD entitled "The Lost Fundamentals of Hogan". His life's work.
In July 2007 Luther was awarded Master Professional status
Key Achievements• By 1985 Luther had gained an enviable reputation and was coach to many P.G.A. Professionals, Assistant Professionals and players on the European Men’s Tour and Ladies European Tour.
• Many “blue chip” companies such as B.M.W. and HSBC have repeatedly used Luther to enhance their corporate events with light hearted and informative golf clinics. He has taken these clinics and “trick-shot” shows to America and on the main stage at the P.G.A. TRADE GOLF SHOW at the N.E.C. in Birmingham, UK and at the PGA Show in Orlando, Florida.
• In 1993 the Welsh Golfing Union asked Luther to become the National Boys Coach and he has taught many of the Senior Welsh squad players, notably helping to remodel Nigel Edwards’ swing who subsequently achieved great performances against the USA in the Walker Cup.
• John Jermine, the Welsh International, called on Luther to develop his game at the age of 48. A few years later Jermine captured the Welsh Matchplay Championship in his 56th year to become the oldest player in history to hold a National title.
• Between 1993 and 2002 Luther contributed regularly to Golf Monthly magazine and wrote many definitive articles that analysed the swings of Tiger Woods, David Duval, Colin Montgomerie and Justin Leonard.
• In 1999 Luther wrote a series of articles called “Single Figures or Bust” involved golfing journalist Clive Agran. An18 handicapper of some 20 years the challenge was to reduce his handicap to 9 in just 1 year! Readers followed closely Clive’s progress, as Luther taught him throughout that year. Just twelve months and ten days later Clive returned that vital scorecard to become a “single figure” golfer. At the time of writing Clive retains a handicap of 10.
• 2001 saw Luther fly to Boca Raton, Florida to film 20 “two minute” tips for the Greg Norman “One on One” CD. These interactive lessons sold in many thousands across the U.K., appearing in high street stores and featuring in many golf experience holidays.
• 2001 after 8 years in design, Luther unveiled the first Explanar Golf Training System and Explanar Golf Ltd was founded
• From 2004 Luther will feature in three key articles in GOLF WORLD magazine called the “Lost Fundamentals of Golf” in addition to continued writing for “PLAY BETTER GOLF” magazine.
Important technical and factual information:
Luther has presented seminars to hundreds of P.G.A. delegates at the Belfry, the National headquarters of the Professional Golfers Association and has been invited to speak to other similar P.G.A. bodies in Europe.
Luther’s contribution to the teaching profession has been forged during 30 years of teaching golfers at every level; this experience has led to a definitive and unparalleled understanding of bio-mechanics and their relationship to the flight of a golf ball.
There are three golf fundamentals that Luther has redefined for the 21st century.
1. Ball position
2. Shaft Alignment
3. Optimum Bio-Mechanical Swing Plane
Crucially, Luther identified the “rolling pull shot”. Over a 15 year period Luther took a high profile approach to alerting the teaching profession to include the “rolling pull shot” as the tenth ball flight law. This has been incorporated into the British PGA teaching manual.
Luther passionately believes that his discoveries about the “optimum swing plane” and “ball position” will become industry standards. Explanar is realising that vision.
It was this work that led Luther Blacklock to invent the Explanar
The 2003 RED BULL MASTER CLASS, a golf instructors’ convention, proved a milestone in Explanar’s short history.
The top 40 teaching pros in the U.K. were the audience for Claude “Butch” Harmon and two of his brothers, Dick Harmon and Bill Harmon.
During this major forum on the golf swing Luther was invited to present the EXPLANAR and its revolutionary principles to the distinguished delegates.
As a direct result the world’s No 1 coach, Claude “Butch” Harmon asked Luther to deliver an EXPLANAR GOLF TRAINING SYSTEM to his world famous academy at the RIO SECCO resort in Las Vegas, Nevada and provided Explanar Golf with an unsolicited and free endorsement.
The Explanar is now used by teachers, Tour players and amateurs around the world.
• PGA Professional for over 30 years
• Accomplished Teaching Professional; respected throughout UK & Europe
• Recognised authority on the bio-mechanics of the human body in relation to the golf swing
• Sought-after, confident and authoritative contributor to major golf publications
• High profile media personality in UK & Europe
• Inventor of the revolutionary and patented Explanar Golf Training System.